AREA: A – B – C – D – E – F – G – H – I
A Brief Introduction to the Marldon Tithe Map
Originally a ‘tithe’ was an annual payment, usually around one-tenth of the productive capacity of a plot of land, payable by parishioners to the Parish church. Paid for ‘in kind’, tithes were due on such things as arable produce, livestock, fishing and manufacture – like mills for example.
In 1836 money officially replaced the ‘in kind’ payments where it had not already done so and around 1840, in the absence of any Ordnance Survey maps (yet to be produced), maps were especially drawn up to record the likes of Parish, field and plot boundaries on which tithes were expected to be paid.
Having determined an overall tithe value for the Parish as Marldon Tithe Map a whole, the rent-charge then had to be apportioned fairly according to the number and acreage of plots and their owners. This ‘register’ became the basis for the ‘Tithe Apportionment’ in any one Parish which included such details as field numbers (which could be cross referenced to the maps) and their corresponding field names, owners names, occupiers names etc.
The Marldon Local History Group, being aware of the existence of such maps and
Over the course of time however, whilst copies of the tithe map and the corresponding apportionment were being made, the Marldon Local History website was being developed for other reasons; at the stage where the website became fully operational it seemed more than appropriate to post details of the Marldon tithe map project on the same site.registers at the Devon Local Records Office in Exeter, thought it would a good idea if a copy of these items could be made available in the parish. For those who are interested in such things it is an ideal way to see where development has taken place, how the landscape has changed and which geographical names have survived the centuries. The committee thought long and hard over the best place to hold such documents but from the point of view of accessibility and security alone, there were never any easy answers.
THE 1840 (SIGNED 1839) TITHE MAP AND APPORTIONMENT FOR THE PARISH OF MARLDON INCLUDING COMPTON AND WESTERLAND
The Tithe maps illustrated on the Marldon Local History Group website have been reproduced from the Diocesan copy of the original map held at the Devon Records Office, Exeter. The maps are a representation of the original and not an exact copy.The maps are not drawn to scale and for presentation purposes, they are not aligned exactly due north
The blacked-out areas on the main field map are illustrated in an exploded fashion and to a larger scale on separate inserts, making the smaller detail of residential dwellings and the like easier to read. Please note that the boxes and blacked-out areas do not suggest any particular locality in its entirety, or similarly, any ownership boundaries.
The data from a copy of the original Tithe Apportionment (also held at the Devon Records Office, Exeter) has also been modified and is not an exact copy of the original.The field number on the map can be used to refer to the adjacent apportionment in order to determine additional information relating to that field, plot or dwelling.
View the Map by Clicking Menu Button at the top of the Screen
Maps and Apportionment : Ray Bond Apportionment Transcription : Robin Cox